Thursday, January 20, 2011

Biodiversity and Evolution

Biological Diversity, also known as biodiversity, is the variety of the earth’s species, the genes they contain, the ecosystems in which they live, and the ecosystem processes, such as energy flow and nutrient cycling, that sustain all life(a vital renewable resource and part of the natural capital).  There are four different subcategories of biodiversity.  The first is genetic diversity, which is the difference in genes or DNA.  Second, species diversity is the number or variety of species found in the world or a given area.  Third, ecological diversity, which contains both species and genetic diversity to measure both the numbers and variety of ecosystems in the world or a given area.  Lastly, functional diversity, biological and chemical processes which are necessary for communities, ecosystems, and survival of species.

Biological Evolution is the process where earth's life changes over time through changes in the genes of a population (not individuals).  I am sure you have heard of Natural Selection, also known as "survival of the fittest".  Some species have obtained skills or have evolved to survive different environments and situations, those who are able to have a specific advantage have offspring who obtain those similar skills and such inheritable traits.  Species continually evolve biologically to survive in the ever changing environmental conditions.  There is also a term called Speciation, which is two species arising from one due to natural selection.  For example, if one species splits up and is isolated for a period of time without contact with one another, eventually they will evolve and become two entirely different species.

I found it very interesting that by a simple change in an environment setting could completely change an entire species.  It was also amazing how natural selection works, certain advantages and survival skills learned over a period of time can create biological changes in offspring that allows them to cope better with the changing environments is astonishing.  It is even more mind boggling to think that these characteristics cannot be chosen, that they happen naturally.

Would isolation make a species more elite if they were forced to move to a harsh environment?

Do certain species have a dramatic effect on human evolution?

How does technology effect human biological evolution? 

My communications teacher was discussing how the words per minute that we process in our brains has almost doubled since technology has become so advanced.  Is this a form of biological evolution?  The ability to process things in our minds faster?  Will this trait be inherited in generations to come?

This topic is relevant to me, because I am apart of this ever changing environment.  Not only do I contribute to the changes in the environment, but I am also effected by it.  The decisions I make, and the actions I do are all apart of the process of evolution and biodiversity.  I am going to do a little more research on these topics at a later time and post a blog about what I find.

No comments:

Post a Comment