At my work we are constantly using Sharpie’s to write on numerous surfaces such as paper, plastic, cardboard or basketballs. The marker itself is very convenient and versatile since it has the ability to write on almost any surface and stay there for long periods of time. I was curious to find out more about this product that I use on a daily basis and what was in this product to make it “permanent” and if it was in fact dangerous to be using so often.
Composition: Sharpie permanent markers contain dyes, pigments and a solvent mixture of butanol, propanol, diacetone alcohol and ethanol. There are also additional solvents in the inks that include alcohol, ketone, xylene and glycol ethers.
How it’s made: “The barrel of a Sharpie marker is molded out of a plastic resin. Screen printing is applied to the Sharpie barrel, including information like the Sharpie logo and the description of the color. A filament made out of a cotton material and used to hold the ink is inserted into the barrel. A needle is used to inject the permanent marker ink from the other end of the Sharpie barrel; at this end, the writing tip is also applied. The cap is placed on the marker, and the permanent ink slowly works its way up to the tip of the completed Sharpie marker.” (eHow.com)
Read more: How Are Sharpies Made? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4926250_how-sharpies-made.html#ixzz1B8lHbHre
Read more: How Are Sharpies Made? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4926250_how-sharpies-made.html#ixzz1B8lHbHre
The term “Xylene” grabbed my attention and I did a little more research on it. It is an easily evaporated and flammable clear liquid which in large amounts can be accumulated in low areas. This can happen because the vapor from Xylene is a lot heavier than the air in which it travels in the environment. “Xylene is one of the most plentifully produced chemicals in the United States, with its main source being crude petroleum.” (Juan Ramirez) Xylene is also used as a paint solvent, as well as a solvent in pesticides and adhesives. Any sufficient amounts of Xylene through excessive inhalation, absorption through the skin or ingestion will create systemic toxicity in the body. A chemical called Urethane is also present in the marker which aides to create a strong connected between the ink and the paper (or other surface). I was definitely taken back to say the least after going more indepth with my research about some of the compistion of a seemingly simple marker. I didn't realize how potentially toxic a product could be that is specifically labeled "non-toxic" on the outside of the pen. I wish they would have added "in small amounts" next to that deceivingly labeled non-toxic portion...but I guess that may have impacted their sales to the devoted sharpie consumers.
Since I use these permanent markers on a daily basis, it was a little refreshing to know that these products aren’t very harmful to me unless used in COPIOUS amounts with almost improper use of the actual utensil. However, after reading some of the composition the marker, it was scary to see how potentially lethal some of the ingredients are. It is bizarre to think that we take small amounts of chemicals that could potentially kill a human being and stuff them into a little plastic cylinder to be used as a writing or drawing utensil on a daily basis. I think a lot of Americans use permanent marker, especially students. We always used them for some kind of art project or labeling project in schools. I had heard in the news about teenagers “huffing paint” or sniffing permanent markers to get a small high. There is a solvent mixed in the markers called Toluene which is also used in paint. This is the ingredient that causes an almost drunken, dizzy feeling that creates this “high” that teenagers were trying to obtain by misusing these materials. It is astonishing to know that these types of ingredients that can cause such behavior are so easily accessible to children.
The Sharpie Company has recently created stainless steel markers that are refillable. I feel like that is a big stepping stone in helping create a more sustainable environment. There is a lot of plastic that goes into making normal sharpie pens. From the plastic exterior to the interior plastic wrap that surrounds the actual ink stick, almost the entire pen is made out of plastic. Most people actually throw the pens in the trash can after the ink has run out which is comparable to throwing plastic bottles into the trashcan. I am hoping that the stainless steel markers will become popular throughout the world and eventually take over the plastic version of the Sharpe marker.
***Read more about the new stainlesss steel pens at***: http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=SharpieStainlessSteelPermanentMarker(Sharpie%20Catalog)
Have you ever thought about how many people actually inhale the vapors from these so called "non-toxic" markers. This is a world wide issue that can not be resolved. People of all ages like to get the high from sniffing this horrible smell.
ReplyDeleteWhy do people want to get high from this? There are several reasons, in my opinion. They are cheap, a drug dealer is not necessary, they are easy to conceal, no extra equipment is used. People dont think of the long term effect that will arise from this situation. Huffing vapors is highly addictive and often causes sudden death.
I completely agree. Same with paint huffing, I mean it's not illegal to purchase these items and anyone can buy them at a relatively cheap price. It's just crazy that people would choose those items to obtain such a "high". It has to be so bad for your body to inhale such toxins. I wasn't aware that huffing vapors was addictive. I just thought people wanted to chase the high, but now that I think of it, that makes a lot of sense.
ReplyDelete